We have been here 2 weeks and a few days and it is starting to feel like home. The only predictability in our schedule is Anderson’s nap times, which vary greatly from day-to-day. But mostly he takes a morning and an afternoon nap. Today he went down without a big fuss, but mostly it’s a big scene to get him to lie down.
Andrew is beginning some preparations for his office here at the Namirembe Guest House. He painted it blue (yes, blue) yesterday and today he is picking up some furniture he picked out the other day. Well, in the process of writing this Andrew returned and it seems they are going to deliver the furniture here, possibly today. But I’ll believe that when I see it. He seems ready to really get started. Unlike the US, when you get here they give you time to get settled. In a recent conversation with the Archbishop of Uganda, I was discussing how long it takes to get settled, and his comment to me was “time here is elastic.” I agree the more days I live here the more elastic time seems.
Last week I hired someone to help me with laundry and ironing. She also does dishes and will be going shopping for me once I figure out what I need her to buy. Her name is Mebel; she is a born-again Christian, and a very hard-worker. The money we pay her pays all the bills for her adopted family. The Lord is using our money to provide her a job, and me some much needed help. When she comes to help with everything, it takes her 3 whole afternoons a week to do the simple tasks I mentioned. Of course there are very few washing machines here, and even fewer dryers (actually none that I know of), so washing by hand is the way to go. Mebel helps with these things and I am very grateful.
Next week I begin teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) classes at a nearby church. The church is a fellowship for Muslim Converts. You may know, but just in case you didn’t, when a Muslim converts to Christianity, they are ex-communicated from their family. Therefore they have no means of getting school fees paid or getting a job. I will be teaching those who have little to no English. I am excited about this opportunity to serve the Lord. And just a week or so after I begin teaching, I will be training more teachers to teach in similar venues to the one I will be teaching in. Please pray the Lord would write my lesson plans for me, and I would be his witness to those who are close to Him and those who aren’t.
And just so Anderson won’t be left out, he is doing splendidly. He still isn’t walking along. But holding onto one finger he can get anywhere he wants. He is such a wonderful baby, and really loves Ugandans and their hospitality. Please keep his health in your prayers.
Thanks for reading!!!
5/17/07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment