One thing Nicholle always spoke about that people experience when they live in other countries is culture shock. I assumed this was just something that was something you experience for about 15 minutes when you get off the airplane and see how things are (shockingly) different. After spending a month in Kampala, Uganda, I realized that my definition of culture shock has changed.
I started out thinking how different the cultures are and that it was interesting to see and experience all the differences. After a month, however, I was/am in the depths of true culture shock. I have become very irritated with the way things work here, actually it’s the way things don’t work here. One of my firsts goals was to implement a snack shop at the guesthouse to increase business. There is a defunct coffee and juice bar at the hotel built inside a huge thatch-roofed hut, which overlooks the city. Before we arrived it was the aspect of the hotel I was most looking forward to visiting after viewing it on the website. It took a week of constant work to procure the funds of 1 million shillings (about 650 dollars) and to buy candy to stock the shop. It was crazy the amount of time and dedication it took to do something so simple. I am amazed that ANYTHING can actually be completed here – there are so many roadblocks. Back in San Antonio, I would have made one trip in about 45 minutes to Sam’s club and bought everything I needed and been back to the shop and making a profit.
Nicholle, being the wonderful wife that she is, recognized my symptoms (actually she probably couldn’t stand my attitude!) and surprised me with a trip to a nearby holiday center. I’m writing this as I sit at a table overlooking Victoria Lake from the Ssese islands. The weather is cool and there are almost no cars – no “Jam” (traffic jams), no smoke from cars or from burning trash. It is a true paradise – looking like Hawaii.
I feel relaxed and back to my old self again. It will, though, be difficult to go back to the insanity of the city tomorrow. We are really looking forward to the visit with 17 friends from the US on the 20th of this month. It will be wonderful to share in the experiences we have had and work with you all that are coming. We also look forward to the supplies they are bringing.
We are all doing well, finally, after Nicholle and I having been sick with one thing after another for the past few weeks. We are hopeful that it was an adjustment period to our new environment. Anderson is still thriving here. The only thing that has been troubling him is sleep. We had two nights in a row of zero sleep last week. We think it was teething pains. He slept well last night for the first time in a while and we all enjoyed it!
Thanks readers-
Andrew Franke
6/3/07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Great stuff. Glad you are relaxing a little bit. We get used to American-style efficiency and being able to get five things done in a day. It is the same here where we are more or less.
Blessings on you all and I got to hang out with Twist in Rome for a few days. That was awesome.
Sounds frustrating. You've got a great wife who knows how to care for you. :) Hope Anderson is feeling better and that you have a great visit from friends in a few days.
Post a Comment