7/1/07

Life as Usual; Ministry in Action

I feel the need to let you guys know a little about our day-to-day life here. Andrew’s changes daily, but mostly whatever the Guest House needs he does. Recently it’s been setting up a Coffee Bar and helping teach some classes on electricity (you can read about these things in his blogs). But as for me Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I teach in the slums in a little town within Kampala called Nakulabye. I take a boda-boda there (a boda-boda is a 50cc motorcycle). The ride in itself is an adventure. I always ask the driver to take care. Overall my transport to and fro is mere dollar, the equivalent at the time of writing is 1,600 Uganda Shillings. I have to sit side saddle because I am wearing a skirt, but the driver is always kind and treats me with respect. I have been teaching 12 students for the past 6 weeks. I am just about finished with this assignment and am about to move onto something else, for which I’ll be sad as these men and women have become my friends. I will miss the chance to see them 3x a week, but I know I will enjoy regular visits with them. I have been teaching quite a rigorous set of curricula interspersed with biology lessons as I call them. The women in particular are curious about their bodies and reproductive cycles. Sometimes our conversations evolve into questions about the United States, and recently we had a conversation about the Solar System. In addition to just teaching them, I have had the opportunity to financially support medical needs and hunger costs (so if you are financially supporting us this is some of what your money has gone towards). These students are very poor, and don’t have much, but their faith has taught me more about grace and love than anything else. They have a depth of understanding about how the Lord provides that I may never have and their fellowship with one another goes beyond what Americans will ever achieve. I am proud to have been their teachers and the opportunity in itself is a true gift.

2 comments:

allison said...

You guys are awesome! What a blessing to have the coffee bar come together so well, to have a fun safari, and to spend time teaching. Blessings and love to you.

Suzy said...

Always happy to hear of your Adventures. You are all doing such great things! If the whole world were just like the three of you if would be a much better place. Glad to hear Anderson is on the mend. Don't be too hard on yourselves, you are awesome parents!

Lots of love from Texas,
Suzy